Avon Empowerment bracelet

Today I received my Avon empowerment bracelet. It’s a simple elasticated blue bracelet with a silver plated infinity symbol and costs just £1.50. 80% of the profits from it’s sale go to Refuge, the national charity supporting women and children who experience domestic violence.The other 20% go into Avons newly created Avon Empowerment Fund.

“As honorary chair of the Avon Foundation, I’m very excited to introduce Avon’s first global charity product designed to save and improve women’s lives worldwide.

Purchase the Women’s Empowerment Bracelet for yourself and your friends. It’s a symbol of unity that represents a future without limitations for all women. It represents everything I love about this company.

Bracelet proceeds will be used to create a new Avon Empowerment Fund. The first $500,000 from bracelet sales will be matched by the Avon Foundation for a total donation of $1 million to UNIFEM, the United Nations Development Fund for Women, for projects that will empower women around the world.

Show your support, show your solidarity, show off your bracelet.” – Reese Witherspoon, Avons Global Spokewoman and honorary chair of the fund

The Avon Empowerment Fund has been set up as a public private partnership with UNIFEM, the United Nations Development Fund for Women, and will contribute $1million to the UNIFEM-managed UN Trust Fund to End Violence against Women.

I’m all for the empowerment of women and this is a lovely bracelet and at only £1.50 is a great way to demonstrate your solidarity with this important cause and donate money in the process.

Women across the world are still more likely than men to be victims of domestic violence, poverty and malnourishment. On a global scale they are less likely to have control over their own economic, political and personal destinies than the men in their communities and any chance to help redress this balance is worth showing support for.

Women can make sure they empower themselves by taking responsibility for their own education and economic stability and that of other women in their lives.

Some great resources and further reading in the following links.
UNFPA
Rights of Women
Empowering women with ICT
Empowering women at work
Empowering women for participation in Democratic Politics in Sierra Leone
Spiritual Self Empowerment